- 6 skinless chicken thighs bone-in
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (more if needed )
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (or 8 cloves)
- 1 small yellow bell pepper (capsicum), diced
- 1 small red bell pepper (capsicum), diced medium
- 1 large carrot peeled and sliced
- 10 oz (300g) mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons each freshly chopped parsley and basil plus more to garnish
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 150 ml red wine
- 28 oz (820g) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 7 oz (200g) Roma tomatoes halved
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a heavy cast iron skillet. Fry the onion until transparent (about 3-4 minutes) then add in the garlic and sauté until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add the peppers, carrot, mushrooms and herbs; sauté for 5 minutes until vegetables are beginning to soften.
- Add the chicken and sear on both sides until golden (occasionally mix the vegetables around the chicken in the pan so they don't stick).
- Pour in the wine; allow to simmer and reduce down (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Roma tomatoes and chill flakes. Season with salt and pepper to your tastes. Continue to cook over stove top OR in the oven following the instructions below.
- Mix all of the ingredients together; cover with lid, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer (while stirring occasionally) for 30-40 minutes or until the meat is falling off the bone. Add in the olives, allow to simmer for a further 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
- Transfer the covered skillet to a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) and cook for 50 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for an additional 20 minutes until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone, and the sauce has reduced down.
Recipe source: cafedelites