- 3 Tbsp butter (divided)
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- 6 oz. smoked sausage (sliced into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 8 oz. baby Bella mushrooms (sliced)
- Cajun seasoning to taste
- Italian seasoning to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- sea salt (to taste)
- 8 oz. penne pasta
- Boil pasta in salty water according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Chicken, sausage and mushrooms:
- Generously season chicken with salt, pepper, Cajun and Italian seasonings. Do not slice it yet - you will be cooking it whole. Slice sausage into 1/4 inch circles and slice mushrooms.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp butter and melt it over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add whole chicken breasts and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side until browned for a total of 8-10 minutes. Remove chicken onto a plate and slice into strips.
- Add sliced sausage pieces and brown them on medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side until darker in color around the edges. Remove from the skillet onto a plate.
- Deglaze the pan with a splash of water and add 2nd tbsp of butter and sliced mushrooms into the skillet (add more butter as well, if needed). Saute until your mushrooms should look nice and moist, and dark. Once cooked, remove them from the pan as well.
- To make the sauce, add remaining 1 tbsp butter to the pan, allow it to melt and then cook garlic in it until slightly browned – only for a couple of minutes. Next add chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce and heavy cream and bring to a light simmer. Add Cajun seasoning, paprika and garlic powder and mix into the sauce.
- Add Parmesan cheese and whisk to blend for 2-3 minutes to thicken the sauce. Taste the sauce and add salt to taste.
- Add cooked pasta into the sauce and mix in well. Next add the chicken, sausage and mushrooms back into the pan and allow them to reheat for 2-3 minutes. Close the lid to help the heat stay in. Serve immediately!
Recipe source: whatsinthepan