INGREDIENTSBLUEBERRY MAPLE SYRUP
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1 pinch of flaky salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk or whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- To make the syrup. Combine the blueberries and maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until the blueberries just begin to burst, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt.
- To make the waffles. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, butter, honey, and vanilla. Add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, stir until just combined. It's OK if the batter is a little lumpy. If the batter feels a little too thin, add 1/4 cup additional flour.
- Fold in the blueberries, and if desired, 2-4 tablespoons of the blueberry maple syrup, for an extra berry filled waffle. Allow the batter to sit 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat your waffle iron. Cook the waffles according to your waffle iron's directions. Serve topped with warm blueberry syrup and butter. Enjoy!
Recipe source: halfbakedharvest