- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups organic low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash (from about 2 pounds butternut squash)
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed well
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- fresh juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Optional: a few basil leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook a few minutes or until the onion becomes softened.
- Next stir in cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, cayenne; cook for 30 seconds to a minute until spices are fragrant. Add tomatoes, broth, chickpeas, butternut squash, lentils, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes or until butternut squash is tender and lentils are fully cooked.
- Stir in lemon juice and sprinkle with cilantro and basil, if desired. Serve with a dollop of yogurt if you aren't vegan. Makes 4 servings - about 2 cups each.
Recipe source: ambitiouskitchen