IngredientsFor The Filling
- 12 hard boiled eggs, peeled & halved lengthwise
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp dill pickle relish
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1- 1 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 2-3 dashes hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 2 1/2 tsp gumbo file powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Separate the yolks from the eggs, transferring the yolks to a medium sized mixing bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise, relish, mustard, Cajun seasoning and hot sauce. whisk everything together until evenly combined and smooth. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To a separate medium mixing bowl, add the Panko bread crumbs, the gumbo file powder, and the salt & pepper. Toss together until evenly incorporated.
- Coat the egg whites in flour, shaking off any excess. Dunk them in the beaten eggs. Then coat them in the breading mixture, packing the crumbs-as necessary- to coat.
- Fill a heavy bottomed pot with canola oil until it's 2-3 inches high. Heat until a thermometer reaches 350 degrees.
- Add the egg whites, working in batches of 4, and fry for 2 minutes per side- or until they're golden brown and crispy. Remove them to a paper towel lined plate to drain any excess grease. Repeat until all the egg whites are fried.
- Pipe the creamy yolk mixture into each fried egg. Sprinkle them with a bit of smoked paprika, and serve.
Recipe source: 4sonrus