- 1 large cauliflower
- 400 ml (1¾ cups) milk (divided)
- 200 g (1½ cups) mature cheddar (grated)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- A good few gratings of black pepper
- 4 tablespoons (45g) cornflour
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (390F).
- Cut the cauliflower into medium sized florets, place in a large pan and add a few cm (1inch) boiling water and ½ teaspoon salt. Put the lid on the pan, return the water to the boil and steam the cauliflower for 5 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Drain, and leave uncovered to allow some of the steam to evaporate.
- Place 350ml (1½ C) of the milk and the cheddar, mustard, salt and pepper into a medium sized pan. Place over a medium heat and allow to warm.
- Stir the corn flour and the remaining milk together and stir into the warming cheese sauce. Continue to heat, stirring constantly (use a whisk if you wish) until the sauce thickens. Continue to stir, cooking for a further two minutes.
- Place the drained cauliflower into an oven proof dish. Pour over the cheese sauce and place in the pre-heated oven for around 15 minutes until bubbling and golden.
Recipe source: onceuponafoodblog