- 2 pounds chicken tenderloins OR skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup CANNED pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 for less tangy)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons Asian chili paste (like Sambal Oelek)
- 1 tsp EACH salt, garlic pwdr, ginger pwdr
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- chopped green onions
- additional Asian chili sauce to taste
How To Make:
1. Whisk the Marinade/Glaze ingredients together in a medium bowl. Add 1/3 cup to a large freezer bag and whisk in 1/4 cup olive oil. Add the chicken and marinate 2-4 hours in the refrigerator. Refrigerate the remaining marinade (will become your Glaze) separately.
2. When ready to cook, let the chicken sit at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes.
3. GRILL DIRECTIONS: Meanwhile, grease and preheat grill to medium heat, 375 to 450°F. Drain chicken from the marinade and pat dry.
4. Grill the chicken undisturbed for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through. (An inserted thermometer should read 165 degrees F when chicken is done.)
5. Meanwhile, add reserved glaze to a small saucepan and whisk in 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Place covered saucepan on the grill (or stove), and bring to a simmer (this can be done after chicken is cooked if you don't have room on your grill). Once simmering, remove lid and whisk until thickened.
6. Brush cooked chicken with glaze and serve any extra as a sauce for rice.
Garnish chicken with lemon zest and green onions and additional chili sauce to taste (optional).
7. STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS: Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Once very hot, drain chicken from marinade, pat dry and add to skillet. Cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes, or until nicely browned on one side. Turn chicken over, cover, and reduce heat to medium. Cook for approximately 3-5 more minutes (depending on thickness of chicken), or until chicken is cooked through. Remove to a plate and tent with foil.
8. Whisk 2 teaspoons cornstarch to reserved Glaze and add to now empty skillet. Bring to a simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally. Add chicken to Glaze and toss to coat. Garnish chicken with lemon zest and green onions and additional chili sauce to taste (optional).
Total time does not include marinating as this will vary between individuals.
**Canned pineapple juice will infuse your chicken with flavor without leaving it mushy. Fresh pineapple juice still contains enzymes that could break down your chicken.